Piscataway in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Historic Community of Raritan Landing
A small port town called Raritan Landing thrived here between 1710 and 1870. Centered on the intersection of River Road and Landing Lane, Raritan Landing grew to include approximately 100 people and some 70 structures by the 1740s.
During the Revolutionary War, the town suffered through occupation by British and Hessian (German) soldiers (1776-1777). Although the town recovered and prospered, more favorable shipping locations led to its demise in the 1870s.
Transportation and infrastructure improvements in the late 20th century prompted the rediscovery of this lost community. Archaeologists have uncovered evidence of many structures and personal belongings.
Location. 40° 30.65′ N, 74° 27.752′ W. Marker is in Piscataway, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Landing Lane and Johnson Drive, on the left when traveling south on Landing Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in Johnson Park. Marker is in this post office area: Piscataway NJ 08854, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Raritan Landing (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Landing Lane Bridge - 1895 (about 700 feet away); Buccleuch Buccleuch Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Brunswick Sailors (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cuban Howitzer (approx. 0.6 miles away); On This High Ground (approx. one mile away); Queen’s College (approx. 1.2 miles away).
More about this marker. The top of the marker contains a map reconstruction of Raritan Landing by Cornelius C. Vermeule from 1936.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 4, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.