Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
From the time of its settlement by Scottish Highlanders in 1736, until after the Battle of Bloody Marsh in 1742, the town of Darien was in constant danger from the Spaniards of Florida. Often for weeks at a time the Highland soldiers were absent from home on military campaigns, with only a few men left to guard the women and children who, for safety, lived within the walls of the fort. On several occasions the post was fired upon by Spaniards or their Indian allies.
After the War with Spain was ended, the fort, no longer needed, fell into ruins, but was rebuilt and armed during the Revolution, when it again saw action, this time against British forces.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.091′ N, 81° 26.124′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County Touch for map. At the Altamaha River bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port of Darien (here, next to this marker); Darien (a few steps from this marker); Fort King George (within shouting distance of this marker); Darien Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); The Burning of Darien (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodists at Darien (about 600 feet away); McIntosh County (about 800 feet away); Oglethorpe Oak (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Also see . . . New Georgia Encyclopedia entry for the Battle of Bloody Marsh. "...the Spanish sent more troops into the region, and the English forces fired upon them from behind the heavy cover of brush in the surrounding marshes. This ambush, coupled with mass confusion within the smoke-filled swamp, resulted in another Spanish defeat despite Oglethorpe's absence." (Submitted on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.