Warren in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Only 10 miles from French Fort Detroit (1701), it took 100 years before settlers reached Warren. The Red Run, a branch of the Clinton River was the means that the fur traders and early pioneers followed by canoe.
The Red Run provided the pathway that the Moravian Trail followed to reach the interior to settle and homestead. This 231/2 mile wagon road built in 1785 by the Moravian missionaries and local Indians.
At the time, this territory was nothing but a marsh and the Red Run and other similar waterways provided the drain outlets to dry the land and open the area for forestry and farming.
Erected 2015 by Warren Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 31.548′ N, 83° 1.756′ W. Marker is in Warren, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is on Van Dyke (State Highway 53), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is about 380 feet south of Miller Drive. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31548 Van Dyke, Warren MI 48093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Red Run (within shouting distance of this marker); The Claeys House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grist Mill The Flynn House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Warren Village Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Paul United Church of Christ (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Hoard House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Red Run Creek (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warren.
1. An identical marker
can be found on the east side of Van Dyke, and nearly identical markers are on both the west and east sides of Mound Road.
— Submitted July 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 25, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.