Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Polk's Headquarters Shell Monument
Right Wing Army of Tennessee
Right Wing Army of Tennessee.
Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk.
September 20th, 1863.
Erected 1895 by the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number Mt-481.)
Location. 34° 55.94′ N, 85° 14.962′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Alexander Bridge Road and Battleline Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This shell monument is located along a network of park trails, that has a trailhead leading into the woods, just east of the street intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Polk's Corps (a few steps from this marker); Right Wing - Army of Tennessee (a few steps from this marker); Croxton's Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Hill's Corps (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hill's Headquarters Shell Monument (about 600 feet away); Douglas' Texas Battery Douglas' Texas Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Calvert's Arkansas Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the shell monument is, “6'2" square at base and 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a painted metal plaque identifying the headquarters site.”
The National Park Service goes on to state that, "shell pyramid monument has a square base consisting 7 cannonballs wide and 7 cannonballs deep. It is 7 layers high."
This shell monument is located in the woods, along the main park trail, that is a significant walk from the street intersection. According to the National Park Service, it is located, "in the woods along the horse trail east of Tour Stop #2."
The National Park Service also identifies E. E. Betts as being the engineer who was the designer of this monument.
In locating this shell monument I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map,
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 8, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.