East Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Justin Morrill Hall
The Women's Building was completed on this site in 1900. Wood framed and faced with Lake Superior red sandstone, the neoclassical structure provided living quarters for 120 women, including staff. It featured a two-story gymnasium, a dining room, cooking and sewing laboratories, a woodworking shop, and music rooms.
The building supported a women's course of study, which was established in 1896. While retaining many of the classical and scientific elements of the standard curriculum, the "domestic economy" course replaced the agricultural focus with courses in both the domestic arts, such as cooking, sewing, and music, and the domestic sciences, including nutrition, sanitation, first aid and physiology.
The building would house a wide variety of academic departments in the ensuing years, providing students and faculty with fond memories of high ceilings, broad halls, handsome woodwork, and a home for their intellectual lives at Michigan State University.
Structural deterioration finally rendered the building unsuitable for occupation, and rehabilitation was determined to be prohibitively expensive. It was razed in 2013, and this marker commemorates its many years of service to the pioneers and scholars who lived and pursued knowledge under its roof.
Erected by Michigan State University.
Location. 42° 43.995′ N, 84° 28.839′ W. Marker is in East Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker is on West Circle Drive north of East Circle Drive. Touch for map. Marker is on the campus of Michigan State University, in Morrill Plaza. Marker is at or near this postal address: 449 East Circle Drive, East Lansing MI 48824, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Nation's Pioneer Land-Grant University (a few steps from this marker); Harry J. Eustace Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); "That a Ladies Course be Organized" Michigan State University (about 600 feet away); The Rededication of the Beaumont Tower Bells (about 600 feet away); Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sleepy Hollow (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dora Hall Stockman (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Lansing.
Categories. • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.