Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

First Black High School in Frederick County

1921

 
 
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
1. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
Inscription.
Founded by
Mr. John W. Burner
Supervisor of All Black Schools
in Frederick County

Principal
Mr. Maurice Reid

Sponsor
Frederick Chapter NAACP

 
Location. 39° 24.718′ N, 77° 24.907′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on West All Saints Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 174 West All Saints Street, Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 173 West All Saints Street (a few steps from this marker); Home of Chief Justice Roger Brooke Taney (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mullinix Park (about 400 feet away); Braddock, Washington, and Franklin (about 600 feet away); Mary Quantrill's Stand (about 700 feet away); Saints Street (about 700 feet away); May 17, 1943 (about 700 feet away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frederick.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
2. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
First Black High School in Frederick County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
3. First Black High School in Frederick County Marker
First Black High School in Frederick image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 17, 2017
4. First Black High School in Frederick
The first black high school was built at 170 West Frederick Street. It later moved to 250 Madison Street which eventually became South Frederick Elementary School (now Lincoln Elementary School).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement