Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Guyton in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A.

 
 
Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2015
1. Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker
Inscription. Camp Davis was one of three Camps of Instruction authorized January 1862, by Governor Joseph B. Brown of Georgia, to enlist, determine fitness for duty, and train for the Confederate States of America Army. Camp Davis opened March 2, 1862, training men from fifty-seven counties. As many as 5,000 could drill at one time at the location 2.5 miles north of Guyton, Georgia, on the Georgia Central Railroad. Five regiments and one battalion were organized at Camp Davis: the 48th, 49th, 50th, 51st, and 54th Georgia Voluntary Infantry Regiments and 11th Georgia Infantry Battalion, which became the 47th. The camp was used only three months and never used again.
 
Erected by SCV Camp Davis No. 2073, Historic Effingham Society.
 
Location. 32° 21.867′ N, 81° 24.817′ W. Marker is near Guyton, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Central Boulevard (Georgia Route 17) and Wakefield Drive. Touch for map. The marker is located about 100 yards west of Central Boulevard (Georgia Highway 17) on an unpaved, unnamed road opposite Wakefield Drive. Although the road appears private there seems to be no difficulty in accessing the marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1683 Central Boulevard, Guyton GA 31312, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2015
2. Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker
Looking west, the unpaved road is just to the right of the marker
At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 1.7 miles away); Guyton Confederate General Hospital (approx. 2.6 miles away); Effingham County (approx. 5.8 miles away); Effingham County Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. 6.1 miles away); Old River Road (approx. 6.4 miles away); Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Guyton.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2015
3. Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. Marker
The areas used for training are to the left (west) of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 82 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
Paid Advertisement