Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Stone Prison
County sold property in 1888 to A.H. Whitehead. Used as city water works until 1938. Kept as private residence until 1967 when purchased by Wise County Historical Society as museum.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3821.)
Location. 33° 13.999′ N, 97° 35.148′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of East Pecan Street and South Market Street, on the left when traveling east on East Pecan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 E Pecan St, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wise County Messenger (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wise County C.S.A. (about 500 feet away); Charles Vernon Terrell (about 500 feet away); Randolph Vesey (about 500 feet away); Captain George W. Stevens (about 500 feet away); Wise County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Colonel Absalom Bishop (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Old Stone Prison.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.