Pineville in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy
Provided for by Constitution of 1845 with funds from fed. land grants. Opened, 1860; closed during Civil War; reopened, 1865. Burned 1869; moved to Institute for Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, Baton Rouge. Became Louisiana State University, 1870.
Erected 1964 by The Department of Commerce and Industry.
Location. 31° 21.464′ N, 92° 26.179′ W. Marker is in Pineville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Shreveport Highway (U.S. 71) south of Rigolette Road (State Road 1203), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2500 Shreveport Highway, Pineville LA 71360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Brief History of the Seminary and the Original Campus (within shouting distance of this marker); Campus Life (within shouting distance of this marker); This Stone Was A Part Of The 1st LA. Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seminary Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Leadership (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fallen Federal Firefighters/ Oklahoma City Bombing Victims Memorial Grove Tioga Sawmill Commissary (approx. 1.8 miles away); Central Louisiana State Hospital Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pineville.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2017.