Jefferson in Marion County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Early Jeﬀerson Lodge Building
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14819.)
Location. 32° 45.309′ N, 94° 20.719′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Texas, in Marion County. Marker is on West Dallas Street 0.1 miles east of South Market Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located at northwest corner of subject building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 West Dallas Street, Jefferson TX 75657, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jay Gould Railroad Car (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain William Perry Old Federal Court and Post Office Building (about 300 feet away); Excelsior House (about 300 feet away); Brown-Bender House (about 300 feet away); Old Livery Stable (about 300 feet away); Kahn Saloon (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
Also see . . . Enlarge Early Jefferson Lodge Building (McGarity's Saloon).
1860 building built as a livery but which during the war held a Confederate hat factory. As postwar McGarity's Saloon it flourished until 1868 when its proprietor was indicted for "retail sale of vinous liquors," "permitting gaming," and having a "disorderly house." This structure was nearing collapse around a century later when it was rescued as a restoration project of the local high school. (Submitted on December 5, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.