Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arrington in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Kings’ Chapel Cemetery / Major William Edmondson

 
 
Kings’ Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, 2017
1. Kings’ Chapel Cemetery Marker
Inscription.
Kings’ Chapel Cemetery
This sacred burial ground of 48 poles by 100 poles was donated by Major William Edmondson to the trustees of Kings’ Chapel, as mentioned in a deed of 1843 between Robert and Thomas Edmondson to William King. Though the headstones are missing, the following people are believed to be buried here: Major William Edmondson (1765-1832), Frances Boyd Edmondson (wife of William), Anne Edmondson McNeill (daughter), C. Matilda Edmondson (1807-1871), Thisbe Edmondson (1785-1853), Rebecca Edmondson (1755-1831), Andrew N. Carothers (1819-1929),Elizabeth Dran (1776-1841), an infant daughter of E.H. Nails (1823), Rebecca Nails (1826-1827). Only two readable stones survive: Frances Floyd born in 1840 and a granddaughter of Edmondson and Robert Sharp (1772-1849).

Major William Edmondson
Circa 1780, William Edmondson, age 16, a private in the Revolutionary War, fought in the Battle of King’s Mountain. In 1787 he was granted 320 acres for his service in running the “Continental Line” for North Carolina. In 1791, as a major, he signed a petition to President Washington asking for aid against local Indian attacks. In 1794 he fought the Chickamauga Indians near the present-day Chattanooga. In 1799 he was appointed to lay out and improve a road from the mouth of Arrington Creek to Franklin.

Major William Edmondson image. Click for full size.
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, December 1, 2017
2. Major William Edmondson
As one of Williamson County’s earliest settlers and government officials, he served on the county’s first jury
 
Erected 2012 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Location. 35° 52.051′ N, 86° 41.164′ W. Marker is in Arrington, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker can be reached from Meadowbrook Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4980 Meadowbrook Blvd, Arrington TN 37014, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Triune Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Arrington (approx. 1.6 miles away); Wilson Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Triune United Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Triune (approx. 1.7 miles away); Bostick Female Academy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rock Hill (approx. 3.3 miles away); Newton Cannon (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arrington.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
Kings’ Chapel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Karen Emerson-McPeak, December 1, 2017
3. Kings’ Chapel Cemetery Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement