Keno in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Spencer Creek Crossing / Camp Day
Occupied by U.S. Army in 1860. Located
on Spencer Creek 1/2 mile upstream.
Spencer Creek crossing
Applegate Trail - 1846 only.
Southern Oregon Wagon Road - 1869
Erected 1974 by Klamath County Historical Society, Emigrant Trails Inc. (Marker Number A-57.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Applegate Trail marker series.
Location. 42° 9.158′ N, 122° 1.684′ W. Marker is in Keno, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Unnamed Road 0.3 miles from Keno Access Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Keno OR 97627, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Second Klamath River Ford (approx. 0.7 miles away); Klamath River Crossing (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Applegate Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Applegate Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cooper Stage - Station Site (approx. 2.9 miles away); Walters Cabin Tree Planting (approx. 3.9 miles away); Bear Valley (approx. 3.9 miles away); Weyerhaeuser Camp 3 (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Keno.
More about this marker.
Regarding Spencer Creek Crossing / Camp Day. The route of the historic Applegate Trail passed through this location in the year 1846 only. Although not listed on the plaque, this marker is number A-57 in the Applegate Trail series of markers monumented by Trails West Inc. and appears in their booklet titled A Guide to the Applegate Trail From Goose Lake to Southern Oregon available for sale on their website.
Oregon History Project contains additional history on Camp Day and reads: The black and white photograph below by U.S. Army Lt. Lorenzo Lorain provides a striking view of Camp Day, a temporary encampment in the Klamath Basin used by the military over the summer and fall of 1860. It features members of Lorainís Company L, Third Artillery division then attached to Fort Umpqua on the Oregon Coast.
This military expedition to the Klamath Basin was the result of on-going problems between Indian groups and Euro-American settlers along the southern emigrant trail. Since the late 1840s, American pioneers had traveled in ever increasing numbers to southern Oregon and by the late 1850s, they began to covet the fertile grazing areas in the Klamath Basin. The basin was home to the Klamath in the north and the Modoc in the south.
Upon receiving orders from military officials in San Francisco “to give temporary security to the Upper Klamath Country,” 1st Lt. Alexander Piper and 2nd Lt. Lorenzo Lorain departed with the Fort Umpqua artillery company in early July 1860. The group included sixty-six soldiers and a civilian physician, William G. Hatch. They reached their destination on July 16, 1860, and established Camp Day at a site near the confluence of Spencer Creek and the Klamath River. Over the next three months, the men of Company L had a welcome break from the monotony of life at Fort Umpqua. This was due in large part to the apparent easing of tensions between settlers and Natives at the time. Lt. Piper and Lt. Lorain had several meetings with local Klamath
Also see . . . Oregon History Project. (Submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Exploration • Forts, Castles • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 95 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.