Burleith in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Origins of Burleith
The name Burleith was first associated with this area in 1849, when Richard Smith Cox (1825-1889) inherited 55 acres of land north of New Cut Road (now Reservoir Road) and built a two-story brick house, Burleith. The first husband of Cox's great-grandmother emigrated from Kilmarnock, Scotland, so the name Burleith likely derives from a nearby hamlet identified as Barlyth on a 1654 map, and later as Barleith on an 1849 map of Ayrshire.
The boundaries of Cox's property were similar to those of the current neighborhood. By 1886, the title had been transferred to Frederic Huidekoper, who later subdivided the land. Huidekoper's "Burleith Addition to West Washington" set the stage for more intensive development in subsequent decades.
The ground where Cox's two-story Burleith home once stood now serves as the primary-school campus of the Washington International School, which moved to the new building on the site in 1998.
This fire call box restored in 2015 with generous donations from the residents and friends of Burleith.
Location. 38° 54.867′ N, 77° 4.269′ W. Marker is in Burleith, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 36th Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patriotism and Espionage (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Famous Burleith Residents (about 600 feet away); Temple of Learning and Talent (about 600 feet away); The Evolution of Burleith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Introduction to Burleith (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Rolling Tobacco Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hilleary's Smiling Corner (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burleith.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?