New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Fort St. John
Established by Colonial French in the early 18th century
Rebuilt by the Spanish-1779
Built to protect New Orleans from attack by way of Lake Ponchartrain.
Spirit of '76 Chapter
Erected 1960 by Department of Commerce and Industry.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 30° 1.357′ N, 90° 5.017′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Beauregard Avenue north of Jay Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Pontchartrain (approx. 1.1 miles away); London Avenue Canal Floodwall Breach (approx. 1.4 miles away); Brothers Of The Sacred Heart (approx. 2 miles away); 17th Street Canal Floodwall (approx. 2.2 miles away); Beatles Only Concert Performance in Louisiana (approx. 2.4 miles Duelling Grounds (approx. 2½ miles away); The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana (approx. 2.8 miles away); Allard Plantation (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Also see . . .
1. Spanish Fort Links. (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana.)
2. Legend of the grave at Spanish Fort (pdf file). (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana.)
3. Find A Grave Sancho Pablo. (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana.)
4. Fort St. John is another ABANDONED Louisiana fort (YouTube). Video of drone fly through of Fort St. John. (Submitted on January 22, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana.)
5. NolaDeej 84 - Early 18th Century Fort in New Orleans (YouTube). Video of Historical pictures compared to present locations. (Submitted on January 22, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2016. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 80 times this year. Last updated on January 30, 2018. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 15, 2016. 6, 7. submitted on January 21, 2018, by Kenneth Ramagost of Unknown, Louisiana. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.