Intersection of Washington and South Rankin streets
Gathered on the front steps of Green Leaves are the founders of the Natchez Garden Club, the women who started the local historic house tours in 1932. The vision of these women created the city's heritage tourism industry, today a major contributor to the local economy. The Spring Pilgrimage tour season, with its balls and pageantry, also became a cornerstone of the local social calendar for garden club members and their families.
Green Leaves was the 1838 home of developer Edward P. Fourniquet who built several houses in this neighborhood. In 1849, ownership passed to George W. Koontz, a cofounder of Britton and Koontz Bank. The preservation of the home's furnishings by later generations has created one of America's most important historic house interiors. The old-fashioned Southern garden includes dozens of varieties of heirloom camellias.
In 1838, the First Presbyterian Church bought this 1825 house for use as a manse, or parsonage. In 1849, the church built the small building in the side yard as a study for Dr. Joseph Buck Stratton, minister of the church from 1843-1893 and pastor emeritus from 1893-1903. His sixty-year diary provides. one of the most complete accounts of Natchez life in the 1800s.
The corner house at 211 South Rankin St. was built shortly after the Civil War as
Richard Elward, a book binder and newspaper editor, built this Washington Street cottage in 1844. Like many other brick Greek Revival-style homes in Natchez, Elward features gable end walls that rise above the peak of the roof and are topped by chimneys.
Erected by City of Natchez.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Natchez Trails marker series.
Location. 31° 33.395′ N, 91° 24.136′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and South Rankin Street, on the right when traveling west on Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez MS 39120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Intersection of Washington and South Union streets (about 400 feet away); Lambert-Taylor House (about 400 feet away); Temple B'Nai Israel (about 700 feet away); Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846 (about 700 feet away); Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets (about 700 feet away); Bishops' Prayer Garden (about 800 feet away); St. Mary's Cathedral (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2018.