Its official opening on April 28, 1926, by Governor John W. Martin climaxed thirteen years of planning and working.
Florida is indebted to Captain J.F. Jaudon, whose faith and persistence kept the project alive; to the intrepid trail blazers, whose trip by car across the trackless Everglades in 1923 dramatized the need for the highway’s completion; to Baron G. Collier, for his unstinting aid, and to others whose time, energies and talents made this tremendous feat possible.
Erected 1958 by The Historical Association of Southern Florida.
Location. 25° 54.59′ N, 81° 21.824′ W. Marker is near Everglades City, Florida, in Collier County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and County Road 29 on U.S. 41. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Everglades City FL 34139, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cypress Swamp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Old Collier County Courthouse (approx. 3.8 miles away); Everglades Community Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Old Laundry Building - Everglades Women's Club (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ochopee Post Office (approx. 4.2 miles away); Everglades National Park (approx. 4.7 miles away); Welcome To the Gulf Coast Visitor Center (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Additional keywords. Dade County, unpaved
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Daniel Eisenberg of Boca Raton, Florida. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 29, 2018, by Daniel Eisenberg of Boca Raton, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?