Lorman in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College
Established May 13, 1871, as Alcorn Univ. of Miss on site of Oakland College. Hiram Revels, first president. Reorganized 1878 as Alcorn A. & M. Oldest land-grant college for Negroes in the United States.
Erected 1970 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program marker series.
Location. 31° 52.564′ N, 91° 8.384′ W. Marker is in Lorman, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on ASU Drive west of Alcorn Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorman MS 39096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland College (a few steps from this marker); The Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Oakland Memorial Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Alcorn State University (1871) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Campus (within shouting distance of this marker); Belles Lettres Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canemount Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorman.
More about this marker.
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2018. 3. submitted on January 29, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.