Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A.

 
 
Confederate Refugees in Texas, <small>C. S. A.</small> Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
1. Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. Marker
Inscription.  In the vicinity of Old Tarrant, south of here, the Civil War refugee family of Mrs. Amanda Stone, of Louisiana, was shown great kindness when rescued by Hopkins countians after a road accident. The Stones saw the Texans share the little they had, even cooking the last tough old farm hen, to feed them.

The Stones were but one of many families to flee from war lines to the comparative safety of Texas. Here, though Federal invasion repeatedly threatened, only a few coastal towns were under fire from the enemy. The family of Gen. Stand Watie, from Indian Territory, visited relatives in Wood County. Gen. Kirby Smith, with headquarters in Shreveport, rented homes in Marshall or Hempstead for his wife and babies.

Like most refugees, the Stones when they visited in Hopkins County were heartbroken over loss of their old home to the enemy. In Texas they endured poverty, loneliness, and sorrow at deaths of two sons in the war. They had to lease farm land, to support the family and 90 slaves dependent upon them. Their young boys at one time carried pistols for safety when schoolmates resented their strange manners. Yet eventually
Marker located in roadside park and picnic area. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
2. Marker located in roadside park and picnic area.
they and most other refugees were grateful to Texas for its many generosities.
 
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7305.)
 
Location. 33° 14.637′ N, 95° 35.057′ W. Marker is near Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is on Texas Route 154 near County Road 4764, on the right when traveling north. Located within a Texas State Highway Department roadside park about 5 miles north of Sulphur Springs. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Roadside Park (here, next to this marker); Townsite of Tarrant (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. 7 miles away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 7.2 miles away); Hopkins County Courthouse (approx. 7.4 miles away); City National Bank (approx. 7.4 miles away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 7.4 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Nearby plaque notes donation of land for this park in 1939. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, June 25, 2018
3. Nearby plaque notes donation of land for this park in 1939.
 

More. Search the internet for Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement