Murphy in Cherokee County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trail of Tears
Fort Butler and the Cherokee Removal of 1838
Fort Butler, located on a nearby hilltop, was the army headquarters for the Cherokee Removal in North Carolina. Tennessee Mounted Volunteers established the fort as “Camp Huntington” in July 1836. The volunteers occupied the post, which consisted of a single log blockhouse with a few log barracks buildings, through 1837. In the spring of 1838, the U.S. Army added a palisade wall, officers’ quarters, a hospital, offices, and other buildings. Brigadier General Abraham Eustis and his staff took command of the post on June 2, 1838; the 1st and 4th U.S. Artillery regiments, along with companies of the 3rd Regiment of North Carolina Volunteer Militia, camped
On June 12, 1838, state and federal troops began the mass arrests of Cherokees in North Carolina. Some Cherokee prisoners were brought directly from their homes to Fort Butler, others went to temporary detention at forts Lindsay, Montgomery, Delaney, Hembree, or Camp Scott become to Fort Butler. The prisoner camps at Fort Butler spread north and east of the fort; as many as 1,500 Cherokees at a time awaited transport to the “emigration depot” at Fort Cass (Charleston), Tennessee. During June and July 1838, more than 3,000 Cherokee prisoners from North Carolina and north Georgia passed through Fort Butler at the beginning of their westward exodus along the Trail of Tears to Oklahoma.
Lt. E.D. Keyes’ 1838 schematic map of army posts in the Cherokee Nation depicts Fort Butler as the hub for army operations in the “Eastern Division”.
This December 1837 drawing of Fort Butler is the only contemporary depiction of an army post in the Cherokee Nation at the time of removal. The drawing indicates a single blockhouse and a row of officers’ quarters; other blockhouses and a palisade wall were probably added before the removal operations began.
Lt. John Phelps drew scenes of everyday life in the army encampments around Fort Butler in 1838.
Erected by North Carolina Chapter of the Trail of Tears Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Trail of Tears marker series.
Location. 35° 5.162′ N, 84° 2.213′ W. Marker is in Murphy, North Carolina, in Cherokee County. Marker is on Railroad Street west of Valley River Avenue (Business U.S. 19), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the old L&N Railroad Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Railroad St, Murphy NC 28906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Murphy North Carolina Rail (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Butler (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherokee War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Water Powered 500 Pound Hammer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nuya Saligugi (approx. ¼ mile away); Unicoi Turnpike Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Prison Cell Door (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphy.
Also see . . . Fort Butler. (Submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 49 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.