L.L. Stearns & Sons History
In 1850 Laten Legg Stearns, a farmer from Massachusetts, came to Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania, and opened his first store - L.L. Stearns. Shortly after the Civil War, he moved his merchandise by raft down the Susquehanna River to Williamsport, establishing a general store on Market Street. In 1883 the store name became L.L. Stearns & Sons when he admitted his three sons as partners. L.L. Stearns & Sons developed into a department store when, in 1889, it moved to this location at Pine, West Third and Laurel Streets. Here it was the center of Williamsport's shopping district for 95 years. Through five generations of Stearn's [sic] family ownership, L.L. Stearns & Sons became the largest and oldest family owned and operated department store in the United States.
Location. 41° 14.433′ N, 77° 0.208′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is in the Trade & Transit Centre's L.L. Stearns & Sons Plaza, with public transit bus and pedestrian access only. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 3rd Street, Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Also see . . .
1. Stearns Family - LATEN LEGG STEARNS Biography. (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. L.L. Stearns & Sons Postcard. (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for L.L. Stearns & Sons History.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.