Indianola in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During the Civil War Indianola and Fort Esperanza, which controlled the gateway to Indianola through Pass Cavallo, were objectives of Federal blockading vessels. Pass Cavallo, ten miles south, was one of several entrances to the inside waterway created by Matagorda Peninsula and the offshore islands extending to the Rio Grande. To deny Confederate use of this waterway for commerce through Mexico the Federals had to seize control of these entrances.
Before Confederate defenses at Fort Esperanza were completed, two Federal steamers slipped through Pass Cavallo to Indianola and on October 31, 1862 demanded the surrender of Lavaca (now Port Lavaca) to the northwest. The Confederate command refused, stood off the naval guns with land batteries, and forced the withdrawal of the Federal ships.
Federal forces attacked Fort Esperanza November 22, 1863. The Confederates withstood the assault of naval
Indianola was partially destroyed by a hurricane in 1875 and completely destroyed by another in 1886.
A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy.
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2642.)
Location. 28° 31.665′ N, 96° 30.547′ W. Marker is in Indianola, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is on State Highway 316 half a mile south of North Ocean Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The monument/historical marker is located on the beach side of State 316. Behind the marker is the prominent granite memorial to Acadian explorer and settler Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle. On the Powderhorn Lake side of 316 opposite the monuments is a picnic pull out. State 316 ends into residential roads less than a mile past. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Camel Experiment (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Chihuahua Road (approx. one mile away); Site of the Town of Indianola (approx. one mile away); Zimmerman Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); Olivia (approx. 8½ miles away); Olivia Cemetery (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianola.
More about this marker. When Texas initiated the current historical marker program in 1962, the design of the markers was slightly different than what eventually became the standard design. The markers were larger and featured elaborate scroll work around the text. Approximately 20 of these markers were placed between 1962 and 1964, when the current marker design was adopted. This marker was the 5th marker in that initial series, as designated by the number 5 found on the marker's base. The marker numbers disappeared in new design and the THC eventually went with a completely different numbering scheme for the markers.
Regarding Indianola. Indianola was once incorporated. The victim of countless strong Gulf hurricanes the majority of the old sites of Indianola are under the surface of Matagorda
Also see . . . Indianola, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2011, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 62 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on June 24, 2011, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. 4. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 5. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 6, 7. submitted on July 5, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.