Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fort San Fernando de Las Barrancas
Louisiana's lieutenant governor, Manuel Gayoso de Lemos, erected Fort San Fernando de las Barrancas near this site in May of 1795. He named the structure for Spain's crown prince and future king, Ferdinand VII. Conforming to Pinckney's Treaty, Spain evacuated the fort in March of 1797. Although Spain occupied the area for less than two years, continuous habitation of the Fourth Chickasaw Bluff dates from the fort's construction.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 9.449′ N, 90° 2.882′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and A.W. Willis, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Adams/Fort Pike (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lynching of Lee Walker (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Memphis Waterfront (approx. ¼ mile away); First Tavern (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Congregation B'Nai Israel (approx. half a mile away); Casey Jones (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2018, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 25, 2018, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Current photo wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • • Can you help?