The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society
The McCarty House, on your left, has been enlarged since the original log structure was erected circa 1800 by William McCarty.
William and his brother, Benjamin, and their Walton cousins were Muncy's founding fathers. William laid out this section of Muncy using the standard municipal grid pattern.
Considered Muncy's oldest surviving building, its low ceilings preserved heat in the winter as did the New England-style central fireplaces. Oral history attests to deer and bear being shot from the front door.
John McCarty, William's son, worked at his blacksmithing trade from the carriage house located to the rear of the family homestead.
Here he would have artfully shaped heated iron into useful items for the household and for his fellow tradesmen - working on a variety of tools for the wheelwright and farmer.
Muncy Historical Society, on your right, is housed in a Federal-style building with Greek Revival elements. Built by John McCarty, circa 1812, the original four-room structure was set back from Main Street, were added by the mid-1850s. Its squirrel tail/beehive bake over survives in the colonial kitchen.
Restored by the WPA in 1937, the building was home to Muncy's Public Library for many years. This building, along with many properties located in Muncy's northern low-lying areas, lies in the flood plain and, in 1972, had five feet of water on the first floor.
[Right photo caption reads]
Dr. Edward Kittoe's dentistry and medical office was located in the John McCarty house (now Muncy Historical Society) until the 1850s.
(570) 308-3003 Stop #100
Erected by Muncy Historical Society and Museum of History, PA DCNR, Susquehanna Greenway, et al.
Location. 41° 12.43′ N, 76° 47.185′ W. Marker is in Muncy, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Main Street north of Noble Alley, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 North Main Street, Muncy PA 17756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Muncy (a few steps from this marker); Main and Water Streets (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Muncy Woolen Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Muncy Normal School (approx. ¼ mile away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Walton Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Muncy (approx. 0.6 miles away); Capt. John Brady (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Muncy.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Muncy Historical Society PA. (Submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Borough of Muncy in History of Lycoming County Pennsylvania (Meginness, 1892). (Submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The McCartys and the Muncy Historical Society.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 61 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.