El Dorado in Union County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Gunﬁght on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902
• Marshal Guy Tucker (1) argues with Walter (2) and Tom (3) Parnell at east gate of courthouse fence. Tucker draws pistol and covers them.
• Jim Parnell (4) approaches fence and Tucker warns him not to get behind him.
• Harrison Dearing (5) leaves porch of his business and approaches scene of quarrel, passing Jim Parnell and arriving near gate.
• The group begins to disperse at Dearing's urging, but more heated words are exchanged and shots are fired by Tucker and Jim Parnell. Shooting then breaks out among all five men, Tucker and Tom Parnell are wounded.
• Clarence Tucker (6), RA. Hilton (7), Mat Parnell (8) and Frank Newton approach and enter the tray from various points in and around the courthouse square.
• Dearing and Walter Parnell grapple. They shoot each other and both fall dead.
• Mat Parnell scuffles with Clarence Tucker and Hilton. Tucker stabs Mat Parnell. Hilton is struck over the head With a pistol and runs off to look for a gun.
• Α wounded Tom Parnell staggers away and falls dead across the street.
• Sheriff H Norris appears on the scene and disarms the remaining participants
Location. 33° 12.732′ N, 92° 39.769′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Arkansas, in Union County. Marker is on North Jefferson Avenue north of East Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 North Jefferson Avenue, El Dorado AR 71730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gunfight on the Square (here, next to this marker); For Service in Iraq and Afghanistan (within shouting distance of this marker); Union County Second Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First Union County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Dorado Masonic Temple (about 300 feet away); Oil in Arkansas — The Wildcatters (about 300 feet away); Oil in Arkansas — The Smackover Field (about 300 feet away); Oil in Arkansas — Chaos (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Also see . . . Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture article on the Tucker-Parnell Feud. (Submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Events •
More. Search the internet for The Gunfight on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 65 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.