Dunedin in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Andrews Memorial Chapel
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2017 by Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-978, 345.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 28° 2.07′ N, 82° 47.068′ W. Marker is in Dunedin, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is at the intersection of San Mateo Drive and Buena Vista Drive, on the right when traveling north on San Mateo Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1899 San Mateo Drive, Dunedin FL 34698, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Training Area of the U.S. Marine Corps Amphibian Tractor (Alligator) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dunedin Isles Golf Club (approx. 0.7 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory of Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley (approx. 1.1 miles away); Oasis Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Purple Heart Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Orange Belt Railway Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Dunedin LVT, Landing Vehicle Tracked (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dunedin.
Regarding Historic Andrews Memorial Chapel.
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
In 1868, Rev. Joseph Brown arrived by schooner in Clear Water Harbor. He gathered worshipers to form the First Presbyterian Church of Dunedin, organized in 1871. The congregation began construction of a church on Jerry Lake in 1876. The church, now known as Andrews Chapel, is the oldest Presbyterian church on the west coast of Florida. The interior features hand-carved pews and beams, with the ceiling styled like a ship’s hull. First Presbyterian Church eventually outgrew the original building and built a larger sanctuary. In the 1970s, congregation members and the Dunedin Historical Society joined forces to move the old building to its present location, at the entrance to Hammock Park.
Also see . . .
1. Andrews Memorial Chapel. (Submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
2. National Register of Historic Places datasheet (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Historic Andrews Memorial Chapel.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 87 times since then and 24 times this year. Last updated on August 15, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.