Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chester in Chester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fishing Creek Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Fishing Creek Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
1. Fishing Creek Church Marker
Inscription. Presbyterian church reportedly est. 1752. Present building, enclosed with brick in 1958, dates from 1785. Cemetery contains pioneer settlers and veterans of many wars.
 
Erected 1995 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 12-7 / 291.)
 
Location. 34° 47.994′ N, 81° 4.056′ W. Marker is near Chester, South Carolina, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of Steele Village Road and Fishing Creek Church Road, on the right when traveling north on Steele Village Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester SC 29706, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Robert Patton (a few steps from this marker); Fishing Creek Revolutionary / Confederate War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Fishing Creek Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Reverend John Simpson (a few steps from this marker); Wilbur G. Grant Reservoir of Chester Metropolitan District (approx. 3.7 miles away); Site of White's Mill (approx. 4.1 miles away); Brattonsville (approx. 7.6 miles away); A House of Untold Stories (approx. 7.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
 
Regarding Fishing Creek Church.
Fishing Creek Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
2. Fishing Creek Church
Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church & Cemetery is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvinís seal and the siteís registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

Although Scots-Irish Presbyterians had been worshipping in the district since 1752, the Fishing Creek Presbyterian Church was not established until the congregation erected a log building in 1770. During the Revolutionary War, the British burned the original log building, along with the manse, the churchís Bible, and the ministerís library. In 1785, the congregation built a new church on the present site. Both the interior and the exterior were extensively remodeled several times, and a 1957 expansion added an education wing, assembly hall, modern plumbing, and two brick porches. The cemetery, even older than the church, is the resting place of soldiers from five American wars, from the Revolution to World War II.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion
 
Fishing Creek Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
3. Fishing Creek Church
Fishing Creek Church image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
4. Fishing Creek Church
Fishing Creek Church Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
5. Fishing Creek Church Graveyard
Fishing Creek Church Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
6. Fishing Creek Church Graveyard
Fishing Creek Church Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
7. Fishing Creek Church Graveyard
Fishing Creek Church Graveyard image. Click for full size.
By Michael Sean Nix, November 22, 2008
8. Fishing Creek Church Graveyard
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,890 times since then and 45 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on November 22, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement