Hartwood in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Hartwood Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2004 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-126/129.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites marker series.
Location. 38° 24.107′ N, 77° 34.02′ W. Marker is in Hartwood, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Hartwood Church Road Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 50 Hartwood Church Rd, Hartwood VA 22471, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Hartwood Presbyterian Church (here, next to this marker); Gold Mining in Stafford County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Mud March (approx. 3.8 miles away); Fredericksburg Campaign (approx. 3.8 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Company 2363 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Hulls Memorial Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Milton Snellings (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartwood.
Regarding Hartwood Presbyterian Church. Hartwood Presbyterian Church, which includes the site of the Hartwood Chapel, or Yellow Chapel, and the graveyard, began its life as a chapel-of-ease of Brunswick Parish about 1767. The oldest surviving recording of the church’s existence cited it as a landmark in orders for repairing the road that ran by it. The half acre containing the chapel was sold to the parish in 1771 by Arthur Morson for five shillings “current money of the colony of Virginia,” subject to an annual payment of “one pepper corn, on St. Michael’s Day, if demanded.” Arthur Morson, who emigrated
After the Revolution and the disestablishment of the Anglican Church, Presbyterians began to use the chapel. The Winchester Presbytery officially recognized the Yellow Chapel Church on 2 June 1825. Until 1983 Hartwood was the only Presbyterian church in Stafford County.
Between 1857 and 1859 members of the Irvine family and their slaves built the present building on an acre of land immediately adjacent to the Hartwood Chapel half acre.
The area around Hartwood Presbyterian Church saw many skirmishes and camps in the early years of the Civil War. Like many churches in the area, it saw use as a church, stable and hospital. By the end of the War, everything that was combustible was burned, leaving only the brick walls standing.
In 1872, the Irvine family gave the church building and one acre of land “more or less” to the trustees of Hartwood Church, the present owners, raising the total area of land to about 1.77 acres. They also gave the church
According to tradition and to a survey of 1965, the present land includes a small portion of land used for a former sighting of the road, which was at one time closer to the church. This road area is shown in Picture 7, with its accompanying marker shown in Picture 6.
Hartwood Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Forty members of the Fredericksburg Church organized into a new congregation in 1825. Worshiping first in the old Yellow Chapel, built by the Episcopalians in 1767, the Hartwood congregation constructed a red brick building in 1858. Damaged during the Civil War, the church was restored in 1867. The church members added a bell tower in 1940, and educational facilities in 1950 and 1960.
Also see . . .
1. Hartwood Presbyterian Church Website. (Submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Inventory - Nomination Form. The completed National Register of Historic Places form describing Hartwood Presbyterian Church. The above information was gleaned from this document and a similiar one for the nearby Hartwood Manor. (Submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
3. Hartwood Presbyterian Church NRHP Nomination page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Military • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,246 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on August 19, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 31, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 8. submitted on September 7, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.