Fort Defiance in Augusta County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Augusta Stone Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 2015 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-118/84.)
Location. 38° 14.293′ N, 78° 58.46′ W. Marker is in Fort Defiance, Virginia, in Augusta County. Marker is on Lee Highway (U.S. 11) just south of County Route 616, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Defiance VA 24437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Rev. John Craig (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Augusta Stone Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta Military Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Willow Spout (approx. 0.4 miles away); Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Grandma Moses in Augusta County (approx. 4.2 miles away); Piedmont Battlefield (approx. 4.4 miles away); Battle of Piedmont (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Defiance.
Regarding Augusta Stone Church. Augusta Stone Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
In 1747, under the leadership of Rev. John Craig, the Augusta congregation began building the Stone Church, a religious sanctuary and a fort for early settlers. It is the oldest Presbyterian
Also see . . .
1. Augusta Stone Presbyterian Church History. “In 1755, after Braddock's defeat, the Valley settlers were most vulnerable to attack by the Indians. Many were in favor of fleeing to the safety of eastern Virginia, but the Rev. Craig persuaded them to hold fast and to build a stockade around the church. Although the Indians never actually attacked the church, the small congregation frequently fled to Stone Church for protection when the alarm was spread that the Indians were on the warpath. Legend has it that the name Fort Defiance derives from the steadfastness and bravery demonstrated by these early Presbyterian settlers.” (Submitted on September 27, 2015.)
2. Marker Dedication Press Release. (Submitted on September 27, 2015.)
3. Augusta Stone Church NRHP Nomination page. (Submitted on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on August 20, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 27, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.