Ewing Township in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
at Ewing Presbyterian Church
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Location. 40° 16.234′ N, 74° 47.998′ W. Marker is in Ewing Township, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is on Scotch Road ¼ mile north of Carlton Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Scotch Rd, Trenton NJ 08628, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. An Historic Crossroad (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hopewell Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Temple-Ryan Farmhouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mercer Airport (approx. 2 miles away); Dorothea Dix (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); John A. Roebling (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Swamp Angel (approx. 2.4 miles away); Ellarslie (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ewing Township.
Regarding Church Cemetery. The nearby First Presbyterian Church of Ewing is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Established in 1708, the congregation of "Old Ewing" met in member's homes and under two oak trees at the present burial ground until the first log church building was constructed in 1712. Church members built a frame structure in 1728 and later worshiped in a brick building. The present Romanesque stone church was erected at the same site in 1867. John Witherspoon, president of the College of New Jersey (Princeton) and signer of the Declaration of Independence, supplied the pulpit in 1788-1789. Thirty-five veterans of the Revolutionary War are buried in the cemetery, which dates from 1708.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 989 times since then. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2008, by Gary Nigh of Trenton, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.