Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Colonial Church

American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site

 
 
Colonial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 18, 2014
1. Colonial Church Marker
Inscription.
Site of Church used as
storehouse in Revolution.
Destroyed by British in
Battle of Springfield.
Present church built 1791.

 
Erected 1964 by State of New Jersey. (Marker Number 9.)
 
Location. 40° 42.663′ N, 74° 18.609′ W. Marker is in Springfield, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of Morris Avenue (New Jersey Route 124) and Church Mall, on the right when traveling west on Morris Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield NJ 07081, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Springfield (a few steps from this marker); The Battle of Springfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriots who fell at Springfield (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Springfield (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Cannonball House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jersey Militia and Continental Army (approx. half a mile away); To the memory of Colonel Israel Angell (approx. half a mile away); Colonel Elias Dayton (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
 
Regarding Colonial Church.
Colonial Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
2. Colonial Church Marker
First Presbyterian Church (Colonial Church) was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. This church is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).

The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:

The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1745. The congregation's second meeting house was destroyed when the retreating British burned Springfield. When the Patriots were running short of gun wadding in the midst of the Battle of Springfield, June 23, 1780, Chaplain James Caldwell rushed into First Church to grasp an armful of Watts' hymnals. He gave them to the American troops with the exhortation, "Put Watts into them, boys!" The present (third) building was erected in 1791.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Battles of Connecticut Farms and Springfield. (Submitted on April 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
 
Colonial Church Marker in Springfield image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
3. Colonial Church Marker in Springfield
The Presbyterian Church was burned to the ground by the British during the Battle of Springfield.
The First Presbyterian Church of Springfield image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
4. The First Presbyterian Church of Springfield
The First Presbyterian Church of Springfield, NJ has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Minuteman Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
5. Minuteman Monument
A Minuteman stands guard outside the Presbyterian Church in Springfield.
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
6. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
Site of the Battle of Springfield image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2005
7. Site of the Battle of Springfield
Much of the action during the Battle of Springfield on June 23, 1780 took place in the vicinity of the church. Today, that area is the General Greene Shopping Center.
General Greene Shopping Center image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 5, 2008
8. General Greene Shopping Center
On June 23, 1780, the Americans under Gen. Greene successfully held off the advancing British, causing them to quit New Jersey for good. This ground, which saw some of the fiercest action, is now home to Foodtown and the New York Sports Club.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,481 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1. submitted on May 18, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   6. submitted on May 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   7, 8. submitted on April 6, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement