Gettysburg in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. (Marker Number 226.)
Location. 39° 49.352′ N, 77° 13.951′ W. Marker is in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Steinwehr Avenue (Business U.S. 15), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located on the sidewalk in front of the Dobbin House Tavern. It is also located near the Gettysburg Tour Center and part of the National Cemetery. Marker is at or near this postal address: 89 Steinwehr Avenue, Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Dobbin House (a few steps from this marker); Continuing a Tradition: Freemasonry at Gettysburg (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 55th Ohio Infantry (about 400 feet away); Jennie Wade (about 500 feet away); “. . . your sister is dead.” “The National Homestead at Gettysburg” (about 600 feet away); Friend to Friend Masonic Memorial (about 600 feet away); July 1, 1863 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gettysburg.
Regarding Dobbin House. The Dobbin House still operates as a restaurant, tavern, and store.
The Alexander Dobbin House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. This building is also one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
The oldest surviving structure in Gettysburg, the house was built in 1776 for Rev. Alexander Dobbin, the Reformed Presbyterian pastor of nearby Rock Creek Church. The house hosted a meeting of the Reformed Presbytery of North America in August 1776. From 1776 to 1805, Dobbin maintained a classical and theological school in
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. The Reverend Alexander Dobbin and the Historic Dobbin House. (Submitted on August 21, 2007.)
2. The Dobbin House. This is the official website for the Dobbin House. (Submitted on August 22, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey.)
Additional keywords. tavern
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Education • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 21, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,835 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey. 3. submitted on August 22, 2007, by Zachary Hinton of Carneys Point, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.