Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 5
— 1914 • Centennial • 2014 —
Constructed in 1997
The Victorian House exemplifies College traditions and a campus-wide commitment to excellence in providing hands-on education that functions in a real-world environment.
Students and faculty in building construction, heavy construction equipment technology, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and landscaping programs created the Victorian House and grounds, including a Victorian garden and gazebo.
Past Meets Present
The design of the Queen Anne-style house, which hosts overnight visitors and special campus events, was inspired by Williamsport's rich Victorian heritage.
The city's adjacent Millioniares' Row features magnificent homes built by lumber barons in the late 1800s. The Victorian House was designed to complement these nearby architectural landmarks, while featuring modern construction technologies.
Highlights include a wraparound porch, a grand foyer with an inviting oak staircase, a first-floor parlor with a fireplace, and a second-floor rotunda featuring a sitting room/library. Four bedrooms are decorated with Victorian reproduction furniture and accents.
Inside the Victorian House
• Dining room.
• Gazebo and garden.
• Solar panels help to power the house.
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
• Penn College student, Mark E. Kessler, who earned an associate of applied science degree in architectural technology in 1994, created the design for the Victorian House.
• The house's four guest rooms were dedicated in 1997 to four local couples who demonstrated dedication to the College: Mr. and Mrs. John Blaschak, Mr. and Mrs. James Meyer, Dr. and Mrs. Harshad Patel, and Dr. and Mrs. Francis Powers.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Location. 41° 14.115′ N, 77° 1.483′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Hagan Way, on the left when traveling west. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thompson Professional Development Center (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Victorian House.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.