Newbury in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel
James Abram Garfield
Twentieth President of the United States
Other speakers in this chapel were
Susan B. Anthony
Louisa M. Alcott
John B. Gough
On January 12, 1874, the Newbury Women's Suffrage Political Club was organized in this chapel with twenty-four charter members.
On July 4, 1876, this club planted the Centennial Oak on a spot three-hundred thirty feet north of this site, and on the opposite side of the road.
Erected 1931 by Lakewood Chapter DAR, The Newbury Memorial Association.
Location. 41° 26.282′ N, 81° 12.467′ W. Marker is in Newbury, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Ravenna Road (Ohio Route 44) 0.3 miles north of Bell Street (Local Route 10), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury OH 44065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Newbury Union Chapel (here, next to this marker); The Burton Village Historic District The Hickox Brick (approx. 3.9 miles away); Under This Penstock Base (approx. 4 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 4 miles away); Burton (approx. 4 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (approx. 4 miles away); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (approx. 4 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Politics • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.