Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stevensville in Ravalli County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Calvin and Magdalene Cook House

 
 
Calvin and Magdalene Cook House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 11, 2018
1. Calvin and Magdalene Cook House Marker
Inscription. Calvin and Magdalene Cook came to Montana from Kansas in 1880 and settled near Stevensville. Like many early settlers, the Cooks’ intent was to farm. After more than a decade of farming, however, business opportunities in Stevensville beckoned and the family moved to town. In 1894, Calvin opened a transfer business, and in 1899 the Cooks became owners and managers of the Stevensville Hotel. Calvin added merchandising to his list of interests as partner in the Stevensville Trading Company. In 1910, the Cooks made plans to build a new home that would reflect their hard-earned success. Local architect Warren Roscoe Rodgers drew the plans for this beautiful residence, which provides a model example of the transition from Queen Anne to Classical Revival styles. Asymmetry of the roof line, ornate porch railings, and a two-story front bay reveal lingering Queen Anne elements fashionable in the late 1800s. A simple floor plan, classical Tuscan columns, and projecting portico reflect the emerging Revival style. Rodgers’ skillful use of concrete block, visible throughout Stevensville, is evident in the home’s decorative concrete block foundation. The residence passed to daughter Cora and husband John Emerson in 1930. It has since remained in the Cook family, a well-preserved, lasting tribute to these early settlers who put down roots in Montana.
Calvin and Magdalene Cook House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 11, 2018
2. Calvin and Magdalene Cook House Marker
The marker is to the right of the house.

 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Historical Markers marker series.
 
Location. 46° 30.402′ N, 114° 5.64′ W. Marker is in Stevensville, Montana, in Ravalli County. Marker is at the intersection of Eastside Highway (Main Street) (State Highway 269) and Central Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Eastside Highway (Main Street). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 Eastside Highway, Stevensville MT 59870, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Denayer House (about 800 feet away); Porter & Buck Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); First State Bank Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's Mission Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Mary's Mission (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Buck/Stevensville Trading Co (approx. ¼ mile away); Thorton Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stevensville.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 18, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.