Plymouth in Devon County, England, United Kingdom
Sailing of the Mayﬂower
On the 6th of September, 1620, in the Mayorality of Thomas Fownes, after being “kindly entertained and courteously used by divers friends there dwelling,” the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from Plymouth in the Mayflower, in the Providence of God to settle in New Plymouth, and to lay the Foundation of the New England States The ancient Causey whence they embarked was destroyed not many Years afterwards, but the Site of their Embarkation is marked by the Stone bearing the name of the Mayflower in the pavement of the adjacent Pier. This Tablet was erected in the Mayorality of J.T. Bond 1891, to commemorate their Departure, and the visit to Plymouth in July of that Year of a number of their Descendants and re[presentatives.
( lower plaque )
Was Unveiled by the Right Worshipful Mayor of Plymouth
(Mr. Councillor E. Stanley Leatherby) on the 5th September 1954
Location. 50° 21.97′ N, 4° 8.021′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, England, in Devon County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Commercial Road and The Barbican, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth, England PL1 2LR, United Kingdom.
Other nearby markers. Arrival of NC4 (here, next to this marker); Iron Pipes (here, next to this marker); The Tolpuddle Martyrs (here, next to this marker); 350th Anniversary of the Mayflower (here, next to this marker); The Roanoke Colonies (here, next to this marker); Wreck of the “Sea Venture” (here, next to this marker); Sir Humphey Gilbert’s Voyage (a few steps from this marker); Pilgrims Point - The Mayflower Steps (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 26, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 26, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.