Colton in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Agua Mansa Cemetery
Erected 1961 by Jurupa Palor No. 296 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 121.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 2.422′ N, 117° 21.885′ W. Marker is in Colton, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Agua Mansa Road 0.2 miles east of South Riverside Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Agua Mansa Road, Colton CA 92324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant (approx. 2.4 miles away); Robidoux Grist Mill Site (approx. 3.9 miles away); Mount Rubidoux (approx. 4 miles away); Mission Inn (approx. 4 miles away); Jensen-Alvarado Ranch Fort Benson (approx. 4.6 miles away); San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fontana Farms Company (approx. 5.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This is California Historical Landmark No. 121.
California Historical Landmark Statement of Significance:
Don Juan Bandini, owner of the Jurupa Rancho, donated parts of his rancho to a group of New Mexican colonists in 1845 on the understanding that they would aid in repelling Indian raids on his stock. The community was named Agua Mansa - Gentle Water - and was prosperous until 1862, when a great flood suddenly swept down the Santa Ana, carrying away the village of adobe buildings and covering the fields with sand and gravel. The village was rebuilt on higher ground, but never regained its former prosperity.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2013, by Drew W of Vista, California. This page has been viewed 463 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on December 13, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2013, by Drew W of Vista, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.