Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The architectural style is Greek Revival. Originally the red brick with 1/16 inch mortar joints, similar to that used in the Hendley Building on the Strand, was exposed. The buildings also had finely detailed sill, labels, and lintels of cast iron.
John Berlocher, a native of Switzerland, was an early settler and wholesale merchant in Galveston who owned commercial buildings on the Strand and Mechanic Street. He built four of the first brick commercial buildings in the city. Three of his buildings were on the Strand, all on the same site, and were destroyed by successive fires. During the Battle of Galveston, January 1, 1863, his building on the Strand was in the line of fire from the 11-inch guns on the Federal ship ”Owasco” and was damaged by cannon fire.
These disasters ruined him financially and in 1876 this row on Mechanic Street was sold to Gustave Oppermann in a Trustee's sale. It remained in the Opperman family until 1903,
A drug store, a crockery shop, a coffee and spice company, various business offices, a feed store, a lodge chapter, and a dance studio have occupied the buildings over the years. After the Battle of Galveston the building was used by the Confederate Army as a Guardhouse. In 1868 the United States Internal Revenue had an office here. Neidermann's Galveston Builder's Supply Company was located in the west building from 1923 to 1943, followed by J. A. Neidermann's antique store until 1979.
In 1980 a fire damaged the upper floors and roof of the west building and it was bought by the Revolving Fund of the Galveston Historical Foundation. George and Cynthia Mitchell soon purchased the building, subject to protective deed restrictions, and have undertaken its restoration.
Location. 29° 18.363′ N, 94° 47.681′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on Mechanic Street west of 23rd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject Berlocher Row Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2313 Mechanic Street, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Leon & H. Blum Co. Building (a few steps from this marker); The Tremont Houses (a few steps from this marker); Davidson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Mardi Gras in Galveston (within shouting distance of this marker); Leon & H. Blum Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Powell Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); Rice, Baulard & Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . .
1. Berlocher Buildings I and II. Built in 1858, this row of 3-story Greek Revival buildings was constructed for John Berlocher, leading to one of the earliest commercial blocks in Galveston. Now housing retailers on the first floor and hotel suites on the second and third floors, the Berlocher Building originally had its red brick with 1/16 inch mortar joints exposed. Located in downtown Galveston, across the street from the Tremont House Hotel, the building has finely detailed sills, labels and lintels of cast iron. The Berlocher building can be found on the corner with north facing operable doors visible from 23rd Street and Mechanic Street. (Submitted on December 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. John Berlocher: The Liquor and Lumber Dealer (Submitted on December 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 32 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.