Carlsbad's First Firehouse
From 1942 until 1952 the station's crews and volunteers were the primary, sometimes sole responders to fires in Carlsbad and along the coast between Oceanside and Del Mark to the south. Much of the area then was rural and unincorporated, and forest and brush fires were an ever-present danger.
The L-shaped, one-story building is an example of modern "ranch-style" architecture that came of age in Calfornia after World War II. It was hand-buil by CDF fire fighters. It features 18 inch thick stabilized adobe block and board and batten siding below the sloped rooflines. The concrete capped adobe perimeter walls are still standing.
The volunteer fire department formed in 1949 by Tom Walker of the California Division of Forestry.
Erected by Carlsbad City Library & California State Parks.
Location. 33° 9.683′ N, 117° 21.191′ W. Marker is in Carlsbad, California, in San Diego County. Marker is on Carlsbad Boulevard, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Magee House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Twin Inns Granary (about 400 feet away); Relocating the Gazebo (about 400 feet away); The Twin Inns Gazebo (about 400 feet away); Heritage Hall (about 400 feet away); St. Michael's By-the-Sea Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Capt. John A. Frazier (about 600 feet away); Carlsbad by the Sea Retirement Community (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlsbad.
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 10, 2019, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.