Palatka in Putnam County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Whitewater Branch was the primary water source for Palatka
In 1886-87 Wheeler and Parks Company of Boston, Mass., built the Palatka Waterworks. The steam pumping machinery delivered one million gallons of water in 24 hours. In 1947, the spring flow was still sufficient to fill the normal needs of the city. The Waterworks continued to operate until 1986.
Whitewater Branch continued to feed the St. Johns River
The construction of the Waterworks east of the ravines modified Whitewater Branch. The water ran through a brick-lined channel towards the Waterworks. Part of it poured into a reservoir, to he pumped to Palatka citizens. The rest flowed into the marshes and the St. Johns River. Whitewater Branch is fed by numerous small springs and seeps within the ravines.
The clear waters of Whitewater Branch have provided water to people for thousands of years.
• The Worthington Steam Pump was capable of pumping 1 million gallons of water in 24 hours.
• Palatka Waterworks, renovated in 2001. The Waterworks is an important focal point for the history of Palatka.
Erected by Florida State Parks.
Location. 29° 38.013′ N, 81° 38.554′ Touch for map. Marker is located within Ravine Gardens State Park, along the gardens loop road, near the old Palatka Waterworks. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Twigg Street, Palatka FL 32177, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Suspension Bridges and Amphitheater (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native Americans at the River (about 800 feet away); Ravine State Gardens (approx. ¼ mile away); The Civil War and the Ravines (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garden Center History (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hammock (approx. one mile away); Putnam County WW II Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palatka.
More about this marker. This is a large, rectangular, composite marker, mounted at eye-level in a heavy-duty wooden frame kiosk.
Also see . . . Palatka Water Works History. From 1886 to 1986 the Palatka Water Works could provide up to one million gallons of water a day to the City of Palatka for local use and fire protection. When it was closed, the building and grounds (Submitted on February 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Natural Resources • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 18, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 19, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.