Blakeley in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Baldwin County's First Courthouse
Authorized in 1820 but not constructed until circa 1833, the two-story brick building contained a jail on the bottom floor with office space on the upper floor. Sessions of court and other county business are believed to have been conducted in several locations within the town of Blakeley prior to the construction of the courthouse. The building served as the seat of county government until 1868, when officials named nearby Daphne the county seat. The site of the courthouse was professionally excavated by the University of South Alabama Center for Archaeological Studies in 2011. The structure protecting the remains of its foundation was constructed using funds from a “Save America’s Treasures” grant through the National Park Service along with matching local funds.
"...two hundred yards from the landing, almost secluded by the drooping branches of Live-Oaks, is the court house...a small two-story brick building painted white, and having in the basement a room answering the purpose of a jail."
Brig. Gen. C.C. Andrews,
Bottom left maps: Blakeley's selection as the seat of Baldwin County came about in 1820 after a change of boundaries placed this area (originally in Mobile County) within the county's redrawn limits. 1818 (left) and 1820 (right) maps showing Baldwin County's changed borders
Top right: Section of map of Blakeley produced during the Civil War, showing the location of the courthouse ("C.H.") in relation to other structures at the time.
Bottom right: Ruins of the courthouse, ca. 1900
Erected 2017 by Historic Blakeley State Park & Gulf Coast Resource Conservation & Development Council.
Location. 30° 44.639′ N, 87° 55.43′ W. Marker is in Blakeley, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Franklin Street north of Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Located at Washington Square in "Old Town". Marker is at or near this postal address: Franklin Street, Spanish Fort AL 36527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town of Blakeley (within shouting distance of this marker); The Apalachee Village (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bottle Creek Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Redoubt Six Battle of Blakeley (approx. half a mile away); Alabama (approx. half a mile away); Fort Blakeley (Fort Blakely*) (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Battle of Fort Blakeley (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blakeley.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Baldwin County's frontier Blakeley courthouse remains on display. (Submitted on April 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 54 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.