New Market in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A New Town for a New Road
New Market was soon a major stop on a public road. After 1805, the “all weather” Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike became the first leg of the National Road.
During the next three decades, over three million travelers used the road. They paid 25 cents for lodging and 5 cents for a whiskey at eight New Market hotels and taverns. Today, this historic village still welcomes travelers to antique shops, restaurants and a small general store, where you can still pick up provisions.
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 West Main Street, New Market MD 21774, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 3 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 5 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 9 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); New Market in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); 13 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Market (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town of New Market (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named New Market (was about 400 feet away but has been reported permanently removed. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a facsimile of a newspaper clipping, In 1787, Nicholas Hall tired to sell lots fronting a wide road in the "Town to be called New Market," each for "three pound currency money.
In the lower center is a photograph of one of the hotels: During the 1800s, New Market was noted for its many fine hotels. The still-thriving Utz Hotel, photographed around 1900, faced the National Hotel across the street. Today, the Utz survives as Mealey’s Restaurant, behind you.
In the lower right a photo of a horse buggy is captioned, The Post Office was located in the old National Hotel across the road at #5 Main Street, circa 1890.The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this series. An elevation diagram of the national road is displayed on the bottom of the marker's face.
Also see . . . New Market: A New Town for a New Road. PDF version of the marker. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for New Market.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on April 20, 2019, by Steven Varner of Escondido, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.