Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bath in Summit County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Shaw Cemetery

 
 
Shaw Cemetery Marker, side one image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
1. Shaw Cemetery Marker, side one
Inscription.  In 1928, Samuel and Charlotte Hale Shaw came to Bath Township from Bristol, New York. They purchased 145 acres of land where Samuel, a carpenter, built a two-story frame house. They had six children; two died in infancy. Their two year old daughter, Charlotte, was the first to be buried in Shaw Cemetery. They conveyed one half acre of land to the township for a “burying ground” in 1836. Samuel died in 1836; Charlotte then married Lyman Doolittle. They had five children: two daughters survived to adulthood. In 1892, Virgil E and Genevieve Doolittle Shaw sold one acre to Bath Township to expand Shaw Cemetery. Samuel’s parents, Constant and Mercy Pitts Shaw, migrated to Bath Township along with his brothers and their families.

Sylvester and Harriet Parsons Shaw arrived in 1832 in a wagon drawn by oxen, built a log cabin, and became successful farmers. Their grandson, Leon Shaw, was a noted photographer in the late 19th century. His photographs depicting everyday rural life are frequently on display at the Bath Township Museum. A Methodist Chapel was built in 1879 adjacent to Shaw Cemetery on land given by Romanzo Boughton.
Shaw Cemetery Marker, side two image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
2. Shaw Cemetery Marker, side two
It was named in honor of Oliver Moore, who donated to the construction cost of the chapel. Shaw Cemetery, as it was known locally, became Moore’s Chapel Cemetery. The chapel was sold and dismantled in 1912. In 1999, Linda Swain donated 7.8 acres and sold 4.5 acres to Bath Township for cemetery expansion.
 
Erected 2011 by Heritage Corridors of Bath, Bath Township Historical Society, Bath Business Association, David Darst, David & Christine Shaw, Bath Homeowners Association, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 44-77.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 10.896′ N, 81° 39.951′ W. Marker is near Bath, Ohio, in Summit County. Marker is on Hamentown Road south of Rock Ridge Lane, on the left when traveling south. It is at Moore’s Chapel Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bath OH 44210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bath Township Hall / Bath Center Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ghent Woolen Mill (approx. 2.2 miles away); Ira Cemetery Information Board (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hale, Hammond, Cranz Homesteads
Shaw Cemetery Marker at Moore’s Chapel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 7, 2019
3. Shaw Cemetery Marker at Moore’s Chapel Cemetery
(approx. 3.9 miles away); Sikh Gurdwara (approx. 4.4 miles away); Judge Samuel Hinckley / John Brongers (approx. 5.7 miles away); Brecksville Township’s First Settler (approx. 6.7 miles away); Astronaut Judith Resnik (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Shaw Cemetery.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 30, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement