Port Deposit in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Jacob Tome, Town Father
Historic Port Deposit
In Port Deposit, Tome established himself as a merchant and ultimately owned large wharves where lumber was transferred from the river works to trading ships of the Chesapeake Bay. In 1859, Tome built a home on the upper side of Main Street. This location offered some protection from the ice gorges and floods that the river periodically brought to the town.
Tome ultimately became involved in banking and established the Cecil National Bank. The bank was located in the Tome mansion until 1906 when a new bank building was constructed at the corner of Center and Main streets. In the 1870s, Tome remodeled his home in the then popular Second Empire Style, an interpretation of earlier French tradition of architecture. The remodeled mansion included elaborate wrought iron balconies, mansard roof and a substantial tower which housed the bank Mr. Tome's office.
When the house was demolished in 1948, major portions of the front porch — lintels, columns, steps, walls —
Jacob Tome devoted considerable energy and money to education in Maryland. The Jacob Tome Institute, a co-educational elementary and high school opened in 1894, in Port Deposit, and moved to the town of North East in 1971.
The Tome School, a college preparatory boarding school for boys, opened on the bluff overlooking town in 1902, and was acquired by the US Navy, operating as the United States Naval Academy Preparatory School until 1972.
The four columns of the Artifact Garden stood on a porch one floor above the street and supported a carved stone ceiling. The ceiling stones have been used in this garden to form the retaining wall against the parking lot. The curved pieces at either end of the retaining wall were cheek walls at the front steps of the mansion. The benches were created by laying two of the front porch foundation posts on their sides.
In memory of Ella Tome Masteller and Dorothy Masteller Burke
Location. 39° 36.296′ N, 76° 6.942′ W. Marker is in Port Deposit, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on North Main Street just north of Rowland Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 North Main Street, Port Deposit MD 21904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John A. J. Creswell (within shouting distance of this marker); The River Town (within shouting distance of this marker); On Alert (within shouting distance of this marker); Gerry House (within shouting distance of this marker); Snow's Battery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Snow’s Battery (about 400 feet away); Adams Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Deposit.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Jacob Tome, Town Father.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.