Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Battery Bailey

 
 
Battery Bailey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 4, 2009
1. Battery Bailey Marker
Inscription.  During the Civil War, fortifications were constructed around the perimeter of Washington to defend the city from attack by the Confederate Army. Paramount to survival under siege was protection of the city's water supply. Forts Sumner and Mansfield and a string of connecting batteries, including Battery Bailey, were constructed to guard the receiving reservoir of the Washington aqueduct and the Potomac River shoreline. Battery Bailey, named for Colonel Guilford D. Bailey of the Union Army, is the sole remnant of this network in Montgomery County. After the war, the property returned to Samuel Shoemaker, Jr. who sold it to Joseph Collins in 1874. The National Capital Park and Planning Commission purchased the property from the Collins family in 1951.
 
Erected by Montgomery County Park Commission, Department of Parks.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
 
Location. 38° 57.131′ N, 77° 6.568′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker
Battery Bailey Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 4, 2009
2. Battery Bailey Marker
is on Elliott Road 0.4 miles west of Ashfield Road, on the right when traveling west. Elliott Road ends at the entrance to Westmoreland Hills Community Park, and the marker is at the north edge of the parking area, just south of the restored earthworks. Elliott Road is accessible from Massachusetts Avenue (Maryland Route 396) via Duvall Drive in southern Bethesda, a few blocks northwest of Western Avenue/Dalecarlia Resevoir Parkway, Northwest, across the District of Columbia border. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5315 Elliott Road, Bethesda MD 20816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Col. Guilford Dudley Bailey (a few steps from this marker); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 5 (approx. half a mile away); Fort Sumner (approx. mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Northwest 6 (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Washington and Glen Echo Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lockhouse 6 (approx. 0.9 miles away); A Canal Home (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ); A Way for Fish (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
 
Additional comments.
1. Battery Bailey
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen
Interperative panels north of the maker - restored battery earthworks in the woods beyond image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 4, 2009
3. Interperative panels north of the maker - restored battery earthworks in the woods beyond
II:

Battery Bailey linked with Battery Benson to cover the Powder Mill Branch valley, and the rear of Fort Sumner. Six platforms supported field guns or possibly siege guns.
    — Submitted April 5, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 

More. Search the internet for Battery Bailey.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,712 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 4, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement