Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lightship Overfalls (LV-118 or WAL-539) was built in 1938 at the Rice Brothers Shipyard in East Boothbay, Maine. It was one of the last lightships constructed. Duty stations included Boston Harbor and two locations near Long Island, New York. After retirement from active service it was given to the Lewes Historical Society in 1973. The ship was renamed to recognize the lightship station on Overfalls Shoals that marked the southern entrance to the Delaware Bay. On December 7, 2001, ownership of the ship was transferred to the Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation. The Lightship Overfalls is listed in
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-175.)
Location. 38° 46.669′ N, 75° 8.492′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Shipcarpenter Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on a median island in the service road south of the lifesaving station and north of the Shipscarpenter Street, Pilottown Road, Front Street (DE-267) intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Overfalls Lightship (within shouting distance of this marker); Life Saving Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blizzard of 1888 (within shouting distance of this marker); Menhaden Fishing Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Hiram Rodney Burton House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frederick E. Hudson (about 500 feet away); Harbeson Railroad Station Privy (about 600 feet away); Milk House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding Lightship Overfalls. The Lightship Overfalls is owned by the Overfalls Maritime Museum
Also see . . .
1. Lightship Overfalls. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Maritime Museum Foundation. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Lewes Historical Society. (Submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Lightship Overfalls. From Friends of the Lighthouse. (Submitted on May 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. U.S. Coast Guard
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,207 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3. submitted on October 18, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8. submitted on November 8, 2012, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.