Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Powder Springs Road
June - July, 1864
July 3. Line evacuated by Confederate forces, withdrawing S. E. across Olley’s Creek to the Nickajack. Federal 14th and 20th A. C. marched from John Ward Road toward Marietta where they joined the 4th, which had moved there via the Dallas rd. from 3.5 mi. W. of the town.
Erected 1985 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-59.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 55.065′ N, 84° 35.047′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Powder Springs Road SW (Georgia Route 360) 0.1 miles west of Murray Circle, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in front of a Cobb County Branch Library. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies Cherokee Land Lottery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nesbitt-Union Chapel Ruins (approx. 0.4 miles away); Historic Dickson House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Kolb's Farm - June 22, 1864 (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Kolb House (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb’s Farm (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 834 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 4, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.