Port Jervis in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Burned by Indians
Daughters of the Revolution
of Port Jervis
place this tablet to mark
the fort burned
by the Indians and Tories
under the command of
in the year 1779.
Rebuilt in 1793
This house was occupied for one hundred years (1865-1965) by the family of Nellie R. Cannon.
Through the efforts of Gertrude Lyons Kellam. This site was made available to the Minisink Valley Historical Society in 1970.
Erected by Daughters of the Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 41° 22.705′ N, 74° 42.092′ W. Marker is in Port Jervis, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on W Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Jervis NY 12771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Decker Fort (a few steps from this marker); Fort Decker (a few steps from this marker); Tow Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erie Turntable (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toll House Port Jervis (approx. half a mile away); Banach Olympic Circle (approx. half a mile away); Delaware River (approx. half a mile away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jervis.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers that follow the July 1779 raid made by Joseph Brant’s Mohawks and Tories and the subsequent Battle of Minisink.
Also see . . . The Battle of Minisink. The American Revolutionary War website. (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 869 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.