Saint Mary-of-the-Woods in Vigo County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of First Providence Convent
—Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College —
Erected by Donors: Georgia Bearss Crume and Mary Korbly McNutt.
Location. 39° 30.536′ N, 87° 27.601′ W. Marker is in Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, in Vigo County. Marker is on Grotto Drive (aka: College Road 10) west of College Road 3, on the right. Touch for map. I find it best to take the East Entrance into the location off of St. Marys Road. Then go all the way in - past the water tower (keep it to your left) - then you should run into "Grotto Drive". Turn left to get to the Marker and the Grotto. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Mary of the Woods IN 47876, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Theodora Guerin (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Gene Abrell (approx. 2.2 miles away); Burial Ground Fort William Harrison (approx. 2½ miles away); The Unknown Embattled Defenders of Fort Harrison (approx. 2½ miles away); 1812 - - Fort Harrison - - 1912 Fort William Henry Harrison (approx. 2.8 miles away); Confederate Soldiers Buried in this Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Union Hospital (approx. 3.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Official Web Site - - Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College : :. A historical sketch of the travels of the Sisters of Providence and the establishment of the Convent which later becomes the Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College. (Submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 18, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.