Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Orangeburg Confederate Memorial
1861 — 1865
by the woman of
A grateful tribute
to the brave defenders of
and Our Homes
Let Posterity emulate their
and treasure the
memory of their
Location. 33° 29.413′ N, 80° 51.811′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Russell Street (State Highway 33) near Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder (a few steps from this marker); Court House Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life Pioneer Graveyard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Dixie Club Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Redeemer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judge Glover's Home (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
1. Description of monument.
Uniformed Confederate soldier stands atop a tall pedestal which rests on a tiered base. The figure faces southwest and leans on his rifle with both hands. A canteen and haversack hang from his proper left shoulder and a knife is at his proper left side. He carries a bedroll and a kepi rests on his head.
The monument was initiated and designed by the Orangeburg Confederate Monument Association and was cast in a small town in Massachusetts. It was moved within the town square when the courthouse, where it stood, was razed.
From the Smithsonian American Art Museum
— Submitted November 4, 2015,
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,045 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.