Lemoyne in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Couch - General Couch - Fort Washington
Fort Couch was built as part of the emergency fortifications erected to defend Harrisburg and nearby bridges across the Susquehanna River during the 1863 invasion of Pennsylvania by Confederate forces. Fort Couch was built as an advance position to ensure the defense of Fort Washington located on a slightly lower hilltop to the east. Construction started on June 20th, 1863, by command of Major General Couch and on the advice of Federal Army engineer officers Fort Couch was mainly built by local African-American railroad workers. Artillery pieces were mounted on wooden platforms behind the earthworks and pointed west. Fort Couch was manned by New York National Guard, Pennsylvania militia, and Federal troops evacuated from the U.S. Army barracks at Carlisle that included members of the 4th U.S. Cavalry Regiment. The Federal Calvary instructed the new York and Pennsylvania troops in the use of artillery. Several forward infantry picket lines were established between Fort Couch and Oyster Point located a mile an a half to the west.
Major General Darius Nash Couch was born 1822 in Putnam County, New York, graduated U.S. Military Academy in 1846. Served in the Mexican War, and became Brigadier General in 1861 and Major General in 1862. During the Civil War
Fort Washington was constructed primarily between June 14-19, 1863, as part of the emergency response to the Confederate invasion of Pennsylvania that culminated in the historic Battle of Gettysburg. Fort Washington was located 800 yards east of this site and consisted of entrenchments and earthen redoubts with wooden platforms for 25 pieces of artillery. The fort occupied about 60 acres and was manned by New York national Guard and Pennsylvania militia under the overall command of General couch. Hastily built for the defense of Harrisburg and regions east of the Susquehanna River. These earthen fortifications were constructed by more than 600 local citizen volunteers and African-American railroad construction crews drinking water was pumped up the hill from the Susquehanna River using hose laid by volunteer firemen. Tents of some soldiers were erected on wooden platforms on the forts steep hill slope. On June 29-30, 1863, troops from the fort engaged
Erected by Camp Curtin Historical Society.
Location. 40° 14.799′ N, 76° 54.291′ W. Marker is in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of Indiana Ave. and 8th St. on Indiana Ave.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lemoyne PA 17043, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Couch (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Couch (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lemoyne (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Hill (approx. half a mile away); Lemoyne - Bridgeport Heights (approx. half a mile away); The Wormleysburg School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Original Fire Bell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harrisburg (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lemoyne.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,901 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 6, 7. submitted on May 7, 2016, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.